Staying in shape means a lot of things to different people. Here are some ways you can spend some time with your family while getting some exercise!
- Go for walks before or after dinner. When the weather isn’t too hot or cold, go on family walks before or after dinner. This is a great way to get in some physical activity, while also spending quality time with family!
- Turn up the music and dance. Dancing is a great way to exercise and burn calories – plus it’s super fun! Move your furniture around in your living room to create your own personal dance floor. Don’t forget to turn up the tunes!
- Cook healthy meals together. Eating healthy is a go-to method for staying in shape. Why not work together as a family to plan and make some healthy meals together? Not only will this teach children the importance of healthy eating, but it will allow them to work on their cooking skills, too!
- Turn homework breaks into fitness breaks. Take a break between homework sessions for a race around the block, the house, or up and down the stairs. Do a couple of laps or up to three minutes of cardio– push-ups, sit-ups, jumping jacks, etc. Get smart and healthy at the same time!
- Have a weekly sports night. Set aside one day a week for family sports night. If your family is really into baseball or basketball, make that your activity! Or you can pick a different sport each week. What’s most important is that you get outside and play!
- Work in the yard together. It’s the fall, which means there are leaves are everywhere on the ground. Get together as a family and see who can catch or rake up the most leaves (and fastest)! Or if gardening is more your style, work together to plant bulbs or vegetables in the garden.
- Walk the dog together. Do you have a canine companion? Or a fluffy feline who happens to enjoy going on walks? Take the whole family together on the next walk. This is a great time to take a casual stroll through the neighborhood while catching up on everyone’s day.
Want to Be More Stay in Shape together?
There are lots of ways kids in Hancock County can stay in shape, including through the Hancock Wellness Centers. Did you know kids can have a membership once they are 8-years old? Check out these opportunities with your parents to keep you healthy and active!
Kid Fit is a designated time during the day when children are able to exercise with their parents by swimming, playing basketball, or walking on the track (McCordsville and New Palestine).
- 3 months-11 years
- Parents, Grandparents, or Legal Guardian must be a member or paid guest
- Parents, Grandparents, or Legal Guardian must stay directly with their child at all times
- $3 per child per visit OR unlimited $20 month
- Hours: Monday – Friday 1 p.m. – 5 p.m., 7 p.m. – 8:30 p.m., Saturday – Sunday noon – 4 p.m.
Starting at 8-years old, your child can be added to your membership so a healthy workout routine can be established to stay in shape as a family. Your child will have access to our TechnoGym machines, Group Exercise classes, pools, and their own fitness journey via our TechnoGym key.
- Must be a minimum of 8-years old
- Child Agreement for those under 16 is required to go over rules and equipment safety before first use of equipment and policies
- ALL children 8 – 13-years old must have parent/legal guardian/grandparent/16+ on same account with them at all times
- ALL children 14 – 15-years old must have member/guest over the age of 16 with them at all times claiming responsibility of them
- Children that still qualify for Jungle Club ages can be a member and still go to Jungle Club
Private and Semi-Private are available by appointment through our swim instructor, Emily. For more information please contact Emily at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Private Lessons
- Member: 3pk for $75 or 6pk for $140
- Non-Member: 3pk for $90 or 6pk for $170
- Semi-Private Lessons
- Member: 3pk for $60 or 6pk for $105
- Non-Member: 3pk for $75 or 6pk for $135